two boys and a girl...bad idea?

HortenseCumberbatch

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Hi there. I have a female Khaki Cambell and a male. Also a male Pekin. They're just growing like crazy and per the last advice I requested here they're just getting their adult feathers. Do any of you forsee the male to female ratio being a problem? I live in the city and have maxed out my poultry to property limit so I can't get anymore females to round out the numbers. I wonder if I should find a good home for one of the boys to protect the female? My mother in law has two males and a female and the only thing she's done is separate the males in the spring when they tend to fight otherwise. Any advice please?

You will have to see. Technically, it would be a problem but each duck is an individual so they could get along okay. There will most likely be some fighting. I would be worried about the female as both males will be trying to mate with her and could injure/kill in their efforts. If you can seperate them that would be a possibility or see about trading a male for a female. I had 4 males and 3 females and it was not really an issue until one of the females started setting a nest and left 2 females to 4 males. You could also see about trading your female for a male and keep just males (depends on what you want from them). Males will typically get along as long as no females are around.

I'm sure others can chime in but from what i have understood.. it should be 2-3 hens to 1 drake and some feel it should be even more. I have 6 in total, 2 are drakes the rest are hens. Hopefully some others with more experience with smaller ratio's can chime in.

We had three males and one female. We added a couple females hoping that would make enough difference. Of course. the additional females are two months younger, so hasn't really helped yet -(and besides those two females pretty aggressively harass the drakes....what's that about? ) About the time the males started taking an interest in mating, and three of them pinned the hen to the ground at once, we built a separate pen and separated them. Only two of the males are aggressive about it. The third has been bullied by the dominant male duck. But it just wasn't worth having a dead hen. See what happens, but keep an eye on them.

Quote:
Oh gosh. That sounds so horrible. Maybe I should just start looking for a home for the Pekin. The male khaki's personality seems pretty chill. Well really they all seem pretty chill but I have chickens too. I don't want them hurting the chickens either.

Back
Top Bottom