Two breeders two very different situations

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Angelic Vampyre, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Angelic Vampyre

Angelic Vampyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Ok breeder one KNEW I was after POL or close to POL hens. When I went I ended up with the only two I could take an he said that they would quieten down. A week on, a worm infestation and two very scared and flighty chickens..... Also the breeder has just admitted to me that one hen is over 2 years old and one is over 12 months. Not what I was wanting they also are digging really large holes and annoying the neighbours with their 6am wake up calls.

So I went to this other breeder to get some layers for my dad. I ended up with 3 RIR x Isa Browns (who are at POL) and two silkies (14 weeks old who where just tooo fugly to not take). Well this lady was great, showed me around, showed me parents. Her RIRxIBs are so quiet they walked right up to me and let me pick them up. Her chickens where HALF the price and twice as nice.

I settled the new girls in their pen for dad to pick up tomorrow (I am planning on keeping the silkies) and well my sister now wants dad to take home the Light Sussex so we can keep the new ones(take us to our 5 chicken max but I really don't care.

I am annoyed at the first breeder and really loving the second. Wish I had found out about her before I hear about the first one. So looks like my flock is going to get a make over!

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    What I've found with breeders, of any animal, is that once you're there, you have to really keep yourself from ignoring red flags. Which is really hard, when you show up with the excitement of getting some new additions. It can be a huge let down if something isn't right, and you make the purchase anyways 9 times out of 10.

I bought a horse because she was pretty (ignored the hassle it was saddle her, ignored the topic straying by the breeder, ignored the body language on the mare... after purchase I ended up at urgent care and traded her for another, much better horse)

Bought a puppy because he was in such bad shape I just had to, then called Animal Control on that breeder.

Took less than friendly chickens (when I was assured they were tame) who were covered in mites (another false assurance) who grew up to be of cross breeding to who knows what. They were supposed to be bantam and let's just say the cull rooster fed a family of 4, and one of the girls layed a green egg. Cool... but still. I bought them anyways because I had my heart set on new chickens and I was already there.

Hopefully the new girls settle down soon!

3. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Impulse/on the spot/guilt purchasing is gonna get you every time. You need to be able to say No Thanks -
    But I have to admit, It's easier said than done !

4. Angelic Vampyre

Angelic Vampyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    I know I need to get better at saying no but at the same time I went to a breeder and asked for A and did not get it in fact at the time of sale he said that they where 12 months old. They looked healthy just a bit freaked (which I would expect in the sitution).

I am annoyed that he outright lied to me and if it was not for another forum where someone knows his birds I might never had know.

5. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Yeah, - I would not be happy at all. [​IMG] Sucks that he lied to you - it's not right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by