Two breeds in one coop

Ole'Brothersfarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Southwest Missouri
I have a bit of a delimma. I currently have gold laced wyondottes with rooster and barred rocks with rooster in the same pen. So basically, I have thirteen hens and two roosters. My problem is, only five of the thirteen hens are laying. How do you tell barred rock eggs from wyondotte eggs? I am going to butcher my nonlayers if I can just figure out who is putting out and who is not.

How old are your hens? Your best bet is to look up how to tell by thier vents and combs whether they are layig or not and then you will know which are and aren't. It isn't that hard to tell once you see the difference in a picture

Here you go...

It is relatively easy to determine whether or not a hen is in production. Check the condition of the comb, pubic bones, abdomen, and vent. If a hen is laying, her comb and wattles should be large, red, soft, and waxy; the pubic bones should be flexible and wide apart; the abdomen should be full, soft, and pliable; and the vent should be large, moist, and free of pigment. A good layer should have more than two fingers spread between the pubic bones and three or more fingers spread between the pubic bones and the tip of the keel.

When a hen is out of production, her comb and wattles may be small, pale, and shriveled; the pubic bones are rigid and close together; the abdomen is hard and tight; and the vent is small, dry, and pigmented. Do not confuse a fatty abdomen with one that is soft and pliable due to laying condition.

Back
Top Bottom