Two broodies, one mailorder clutch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jilara, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I got some eggs for my hen who goes incredibly broody, a dozen of them. And lo, about the time they arrived, one of the other hens went broody, too. So I've given three of the eggs to the first-time mama, and the rest to my experienced mother. But now the question is whether I can leave them in their separate nests in the coop to incubate and maybe raise chicks together, moving the other hen to the other coop. These gals have been at it for five days, and the third hen isn't interested. However, I want her away before anyone hatches. But are hens who have chicks hatch at the same time known to cooperate?

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I usually have problems with two broodys in the same coop. Mine always seem to get confused and get on the wrong nest![​IMG] I have two cochins that went broody and when the first one hatched the second one got off the nest to "help" with the first!! If they are fighting, or not getting along, I would separate them if you can! I have had chicks get killed by the broodies fighting over the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by