Two broodies one pen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hemsandchicks, Jun 30, 2016.

1. hemsandchicks

hemsandchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi there. We had 2 broody hens, one buff and one lavender orpington, that I had to move because they were making it impossible to collect eggs. I moved them to a small penned off portion of my chick stall with their own boxes while I figured out what to do with them. They were each given 6 eggs to set on. Well, before I could get them moved the chicks started hatching.
    I need to move them out of the chick stall. We finally got an old coop and run the neighbor fave us usable. The chicks seem to be interacting and going between the hens with no issues. Should I be okay moving them both to the coop? It's about 4x6 with 3 nesting boxes and run is about 5x8. Both hens have great temperaments if that makes makes a difference. TIA

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

they should be good

3. hemsandchicks

hemsandchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the assurance. I moved them and their 6 chicks combined yesterday. I'm kind of impressed and amused by their coparenting of the chicks. No issues and all are happy and thriving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by