Two brooding in one nest!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MityLucky1, Jul 16, 2010.

1. MityLucky1

MityLucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    Has anyone experienced 2 chickens brooding at the same time in one nest??? It's the funniest thing I've seen!! The original brooder was there for 2 days before her sister decided to join the party [​IMG] They've been there now for over a week. I've given up on trying to get the second one out but I'm sure it's frustration the original brooder. I tried moving the second one to another nest, but she just kept going back in with her sister. Any suggestions on how to seperate them?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

You might try moving #2 at night, but if that fails I'm afraid you're stuck. Chickens can be the most stubborn of creatures at times.

3. amberroswell

amberroswell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    north muskegon
    i am having a similar situation my girls are also sisters and they share they nesting box they now have 13 eggs between the both of them, but one sister does most of the sitting, i was told i have to separate them but i have not yet i am still trying to figure out another way they are really close and i do not want to mess up their bond and i am kinda curious to see how this is going to work with two moms

4. MityLucky1

MityLucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    Thanks. Tried moving the one but to no avail. Every morning she's back on LOL I give up! You're right, stubborn things aren't they???[​IMG]

5. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

have the same thing going on with 2 golden comets.1 started setting then about 3 days later her sister joined her.now there is 16 chicken eggs and 3 guinea eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by