Two Broody Hens a Week Plus Apart

RoosterDon

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 19, 2014
Austin Texas
So my first hen has hatched 11 of 19 eggs, 8 left, and just tonight she has moved off the eggs and is mothering the chicks that have hatched.

I have 3 pipping so they should be fine. The other eggs, should I move them under the other hen? Will the other hen who is sitting on her eggs reject the new ones coming in?

My gut is telling me to let me hen keep doing her deal. But if tomorrow I see that she is no longer sitting on the unhatched eggs, I wanted to see if any of you would move the eggs under the other hen, or let nature take its course? The hen was sitting on these eggs today to seeing her just now off the unhatched eggs had me a little alarmed. The outside temperature is currently 88 degrees, will get to a low of 78, and up to 98 tomorrow. So heat wise they "might" be okay, humidity not sure at 51% if thats enough for eggs that need another 4-6 or so days to go.

Some other hens had snuck some eggs under this hen which is why I have this time difference. It looks like it might now be a problem. And I don't have an incubator anymore.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Oh, there is one egg where the chick if working so hard to get out, and is in its third day. It has not been able to poke through the membrane yet. I have heard NOT to help it, that if a chick CAN'T have the strength to zip and hatch, then it won't have what it takes to survive. I was very close to helping it out, it is tearing me up knowing it can't find the strength to break through. Maybe it will break through tonight......Thoughts?

I would not move the rest of the eggs under the other hen, as if the eggs hatch she could leave her eggs unattended. Make a make shift incubator. A heat lamp and a pan of water in some sort of a container with a lid to hopefully hatch the rest. As for the chick who has not pipped in three days and is still alive I would help and give it a fighting chance.

Thanks for the nudge Choco. I had to peel the egg all the way off to it, and it was peeping and moving some. I put it under the hen and she accepted it and was cleaning it up some. I don't like its chances, but they are better now, and I will sure sleep better. I put the other eggs under her and she readily accepted them, rolling them under her. I think she just got stuck on the other side of the safe coop with all the chicks.

So, all is okay, as of now. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom