Two broody hens, have questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazzy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    We had one broody hen so we put 10 eggs under her and then, a week and a half later, we ended up with another broody hen. Would it be okay to move broody hen #2 into the nursery where we put broody hen #1? Broody hen #1 will have her eggs hatch this weekend. The other hen is about 1-1/2 weeks behind her. We can't leave broody hen #2 in the coop with all the other chickens since they might hurt the chicks after they hatch so we have no choice but to move her.

Thanks!

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    the two hens will be fine just keep them in seperate nests if hen #2 is not being bothered in the hen house, i would leave her in there untill the eggs hatched. then move her.

3. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    okay, thanks!

4. Sharedspirit

Sharedspirit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Doddridge County WV
    We leave our broody hens in the hen house and the other chickens don't bother her. We had one recently hatch out two chicks and she has been in the hen house with her two chicks for 2 weeks now and they don't bother the chicks either.

The only trouble we've had are two broody hens fighting over the eggs. But when the eggs finally hatched, one of the hens took over and the other one left her be.

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    WHAT DO I DO ? I have one broody hen with NO EGGS , and NO ROOS and dont want any chicks , thats the reason why I have NO ROOS ....

ALL she does is sit there and HARDLY EATS AND DRINKS water . SHEIS NOT even laying . SOMEONE TOLD METO DUNK her in PAIL of water and will break that cycle . ANYONE heard of this ? HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I read about dunking a broody in a pail of water, so I tried that yesterday. She loved it! It's been so hot here, I guess it was quite a relief for her. But she's still broody... and probably wishing I would dunk her in cold water again!

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    By no means am I saying that the dunking thing doesn't work. It might work for you - and definitely no harm done. My Mina is very determined to be broody! Again...

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I may try the DUNKING , sure won't hurt [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by