Two broody hens together in the same enclosure?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PunkinPeep, May 11, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I've had 4 broodies so far, ever.

And so far, i've allowed them to set in the regular nest boxes, and i just moved them after the chicks hatched.

But i've noticed that i lose a lot of eggs that way from what appears to be hens fighting to defend their eggs from other hens. The mama fights too hard and ends up sacrificing eggs in the process.

Now, i appear to have 2 new broody hens, a buff orp and a rir (this 'll be my first rir broody).

I want to set them up in my outdoor brooder. But since i've never enclosed a broody before, i'm wondering if there's anything i should know about putting them together in there.

There's plenty of room for them. This brooder is very large. But should i be concerned that they will switch nests or fight over the eggs?

How important is it that i make them boxes inside the brooder? Will they be ok without an additional box-like enclosure within the brooder?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I currently have 2 broodies in a rabbit hutch style coop. It is 8 or 9 ft long, and one is at each end. Each day they come out at the same time, to eat, drink and poop. When they go back in, I watch to be sure they don't fight over the eggs. It has been 5 days so far without a problem. Will it last, I dunno.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    That's encouraging. Thanks, Kathy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by