TWO Broody Hens!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kellyd, Sep 15, 2010.

1. kellyd

kellyd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Barneveld, NY
    I have a Cochin and an Iowa Blue - both sitting on eggs. Yesterday the Cochin got off to eat and I counted about 7-8. I haven't been able to catch the other off her eggs yet. These hens are young - hatched March 3rd, so we'll see -
    I hadn't planned on hatching until next year, but I guess I'll let them try!! I'll keep you posted - should be October4th!!

[​IMG]

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Good luck with your hatch. I have one broody hen that now has 10 eggs under her. 4 of which I place in the nest not thinking more would be added. Come to find out that her sister is squeezing into the nest box with her and laying an egg!!!!! Can you believe it??? Crazy birds.

3. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I have a A frame coop at the top there is some boards and this week I had a broody up there so there 2 BROODYS up there and one is on the ground being broody OH YEA I only have three hens and a roo and all my hens are broody.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good luck!

I've got a 7 month old Ameraucana that is sitting on eggs on Day 14, so next week I'll have babies!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I suspected it yesterday but today confirmed I have a second (sequential, not concurrent) broody hen: Shirley Welsummer. She's trying to hatch 5 eggs and a golf ball. (I removed the golf ball today and marked the eggs with yesterday's date, and will continue to check for eggs so I can remove the later additions.) Shirley has ONLY been laying eggs for a little over a month!

Buffy, my original broody, shows no signs of going broody again at this point. Her hatchling Samantha likes "touch bases" with her, but is no longer sticking only to her hatch mom. She hatched on 6/24, so she's almost 3 months old now.

Luckily, I have 8 layers, with more pullets getting closer to that stage.

6. laurenandtoby

laurenandtoby New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    So jealous of all you folks with broody hens. We used to have so many we thought they were a nuisance (too many chickens.)

Now we find ourselves setting up an incubator, hoping to hatch out some newbies. We got a variety of babies back in February, including one Cuckoo Maran that lays really nice dark brown eggs, so we thought we'd try to hatch some of them out.

It is SO MUCH EASIER to let the hens do all the work! They set their little humidifiers to 55% and the temp is always perfect. Egg bliss.

Good luck with 'em!

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awesome!!! What kind of eggs? [​IMG]

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Woo, I just love broody hens! It's so wonderful watching hens hatch and raise their offspring. [​IMG] Good luck, I hope you get some great babies out of your broodies! I have a broody serama right now (as well as some serama eggs in the incubator) so I'm hoping her four eggs will hatch soon.

9. kellyd

kellyd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Barneveld, NY
    Wellll......I got home from the store today, and there is a Cochin, sitting in the driveway. I went about my business, unloading groceries. When I came back out to the car, I spied a teeny chick next to her!!! Holy crap, they hatched early, I must have counted way wrong...a million thoughts through my mind!!! So, I went to check the nest to make sure there were no duds, and uh, there is the hen, happily sitting on her eggs!! That hen snuck into the woods and hatched 13 eggs!!! I would have loved to let her raise them, but I am too nervous, so my daughter and I collected the chicks and they are in my makeshift brooder in the bathroom. As soon as I figure out how, I will post some pics. Crazy chickens!!! I love them!!!
    [​IMG]:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Wow - That's great!
    Pics! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by