Two Broody Hens!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farm&countrygirl, Jul 8, 2011.

1. farm&countrygirl

farm&countrygirl New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I don't really understand how to use this website, since I just joined. But if I think I know what I'm doing, which is posting?, then I have a few questions. I have always had chicks but I have always gotten them from someone else or ordered them. Just this summer I got an incubator and hatched 17 little babys. Unfortunetly they all were all recently killed by what we think to be a coyote. I was just thinking about ordering some when 4 days ago I found a broody hen. Coincidently the day before I found her I seperated the Rooster from the hen due to just being mean and abuseful to all the hen, so most likley her eggs are unfertile.Now today I found another hen sitting broody in the box with the other hen. At first I was gonna stop them because the eggs arent furtile but then I thought if I couyld use this to my benefit By having them either hatch me some fertile eggs or being a mother to ordered babys. I know from reading that broody hens should be removed from non-broody hens or the rest of the flock, But do broody hens need to be seperated from other broody hens? Also if I do remove the two hens and let them be broody, should I order fertle eggs and have them hatch them or let them think they are hatching the unfertile eggs and then at night on the correct date swap young ordered chicks for the eggs? Please reply, I would very much appreciate your input [​IMG]

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    A hen can lay fertile eggs for up to 3 weeks (but usually around 10 days) after the last time she was bred, so if you just recently removed the roo, your eggs may still be fertile.

3. farm&countrygirl

farm&countrygirl New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Thank you! That makes me feel much better that that weeks eggs hadn't been in there just going bad! [​IMG]
    I hate to ask more questions but these are my first broody hens. If I separate the two hens from the rest of the flock what type of place should I move them to? Also what if they don't settle down? And lastly can the two broodys be together happily hatching their eggs and raising the chicks once they hatch?
    Thank you again [​IMG]

4. Sailing Dede

Sailing Dede Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bradwell-On-Sea
    I have two broodies together in there own run with two nest boxes side by side. They are pekin/cochin bantams sitting on 6 big hybrid eggs each.
    Before I set the eggs they did swap nests once but that was because there was only one egg in there that they both wanted [​IMG]
    Now they are on a clutch each they dont seem to move at all (I hand feed them daily), but even if at some point they do swap nests would it matter at all?
    No, not one bit [​IMG]

5. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Quote:Sorry to stray from the OP questions, but I've always wanted to set 2 hens together in a "2 nest nestbox"! I think it would save a lot of space and improve the chances of all the chicks making it in a free range situation.

6. farm&countrygirl

farm&countrygirl New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I have an old coop that I had when I didn't have so many chickens. The coop is a triangular prism that is divided horizontally with a second floor with 4 nesting boxes inside the top part(I will try to get some pictures so its easier to understand), do you think this would work to move both the broodys in to to hatch some eggs?

7. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I just built a nest box , 14"x21" and left it on the floor of the main coop, and the other girls just kept using the regular nest boxes, leaving my broody hen to her self. I didnt move her because I hate the re-entry to the adult flock, if she never really leaves I'm hoping that the flock will except the chicks easier , that means less stress on us all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by