1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TWO broodys- ONE baby chick...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Ok here's the story..."Big Mama" had gone broody...she sat on eggs for 28 days. None hatched,all rotten. Then "Ms.Dottie" went broody and so I placed 6 eggs under her and while she was sitting, "Big Mama" went broody again(I placed 4 eggs under her). During sitting,Ms.Dottie got rid of any infertile..leaving 4. Other hens tried to get in the nest to lay and well..a couple got broken. Later ,when checking on the eggs....while Ms.Dottie got up to stretch, I noticed that one was half crushed and there was a chick in side yolk was coming out and all of it's contents. So I opened it the rest of the way,knowing there was no chance of survival. The chick moved a bit, then nothing.A few days later I could smell this aweful smell...I checked the eggs..all were rotten. I had to destroy them. "Big Mama was down to 3 eggs...and then I noticed that one was smashed...over to the side of the nest was a dead chick. So she only had 2 eggs left...so I gave one to Ms. Dottie, who was still broody. So they both had 1 egg each. On day 20 I heard peeps coming from Big.Mama's nest...sure enough,her egg hatched. She now has a beautiful baby. Unfortunately,Ms.Dottie's egg didn't hatch. A few days later,I checked the egg,rotten. I tossed it. Now the problem.... Big Mama moved her chick to a pen where I kept older chicks(until adults were used to them being around). I closed the door after putting starter feed and waterer in there. Ms.Dottie ,poor thing...continuously sits next to this pen..talking to Big Mama's baby and showing the baby how to eat etc. She seems to think that that is her baby, So my question is....what should I do about it? Should I do anything? I will place more eggs under her(after I incubate them for a few days to make sure they are fertile), but she is nolonger sitting in the nest. Or should I just let her think that baby is hers...or what? Thanks for any advice.

2. anschuck

anschuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    So. Maine
    I kind of had the same problem. 2 broody hens. Out of 12 eggs each only 5 hatched between them.
    I would try to get her to start sitting again. Leave the eggs you have in the incubator there until they
    hatch, them after they dry off you can slip them under her. I did this and now have 2 hens with 15 chicks

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You could try to get her a day old chick or 2 and see if she takes it as her own... Try searching craigslist in your area for chicks.... Sounds so sad !!!!

4. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I haven't started to incubate yet... but I was just thinking about what you said . I'm not sure if that will work. I mean that will be 21 days before the broody (Ms.Dottie) without a baby, has to wait for a baby. So, she will still think that Big Mama's baby is hers until then. Won't she? My mother-inlaw just suggested something...when I place eggs under my broodys..I should also put eggs in the bator. So, if none of the broodys' eggs don't hatch then I can place the babies from the incubator under them. That's a great idea for next time, but for the problem now...I'm not sure.

5. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I have a lone 4 week old chick...would she take to her/him?
    Or is that too old. No one seems to be selling day old chicks around here now.

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I have a lone 4 week old chick...would she take to her/him?
    Or is that too old. No one seems to be selling day old chicks around here now.

I think that would be to old !!! but you could always try !!!

7. anschuck

anschuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    So. Maine
    What about ordering a few chicks thru the mail? You could then split them between both hens.
    I've heard alot of people say mypetchicken.com is where you can order the least amount.
    Just a thought.

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Myst4 - Where in Canada are you ?? What town ? I know some places in Canada aren't that far from me.

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I'm in Nova Scotia.....just outside of Yarmouth. You in Canada too?

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I'm in Nova Scotia.....just outside of Yarmouth. You in Canada too?

No up North in NH, I didnt think it was that far !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by