two brother Roo's fighting

Dontlickthechicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Candia, NH
here's my problem... I got some fertile eggs for my broody buff overe the summer, she hatched out 2 chicks and both turned out to be Beautiful Rumpless Roo's! I never really wanted roo's but thought I brought them here so I need to keep them. They are now a little under 6 months old and are not getting along all that well.... they dont fight all the time and today was the second time in about a month I've had to put one in a cage to chill out. one is much larger and clearly thinks he's the boss and all is quiet til the other one decides to crow then the trouble starts and if one goes after a hen the other has to have that hen also. its becoming a problem and I am freaked out to give one away on craigslist ( I tried and turned someone down cause i know he was up to no good). will they get worse? should I get more hens? ( i have 6) HELP

It sounds like you're going to have to keep them separate. If you can't keep them separate, you could try putting a flier up at the feed store to sale one.

Quote:
i agree.
thumbsup.gif

If they're brothers who have been raised together, I wouldn't worry, they'll figure it out in the end.

The ONLY breeds to worry about with roo vs roo aggression even in birds raised together are gamefowl.

I agree with the last two.
I would also get more hens, they could each end up with their own harem. 6 is a bit low for 1 rooster.
When I separate the roos and pullets at about 18 weeks, the brothers get along much better and sleep in a big pile together.

Thank you. the last time I had to seperate them just for the rest of the day but this time I keep trying ad they keep going at it... they even got at eachother through the cage and both had bloody heads. I let them all out to free rage this morning and within a min they were both at it again ( so needless to say one is in the pen now) I hope to rehome one, but until then i'll just have to let them figure it out I guess. one was always the bigger dominate one and all was fine until the other one decided he was gonna crow too. I wont have the option to seperate them during the work week unless one stays in a dog crate, I just worry about them killing eachother... but if you all think they wont go that far then maybe i'll let the other one out today too and go with the flow

Back
Top Bottom