Two buff brahmas, 1 light...two hens one roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ESofVA, May 28, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I have been trying to sex and identify the chicks that I will be keeping and the rest will go in the freezer when they are big enough.
    I know these are Brahmas and I think the buffs are hens????? and the light a roo??? They are about 6 weeks.
    Please excuse the ruffled feathers!! Helping grandchildren are worth it though!!

So here are pics of chicks labeled for now as #'s 8, 11, and 18.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    So far, I agree with you. Brahmas can be tricky. Don't put that in ink just yet.

3. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

At least one is a roo. I would wait a bit on the other two :)

4. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    So the Light is probably a roo like I have been thinking?

5. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

That's what I think :)

6. Leo1

Leo1 Chirping

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    The only one I'm almost 100% on is the light, Brahma roosters are huge sweethearts if you are able you might want to keep him. The other two do look like girls, though, the feathering on the 3rd chick looks male (the coloring looks female), but like someone said brahmas can change on you. I would be very surprised in the first chick turned out to be a male. That is a very typical female color pattern for a chick. The other color pattern you got (#18) can go either way.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Here is my light brahma at 6 weeks. I'm pretty sure I have a girl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far I'd say you might have all girls. Light brahmas combs are bigger then other brahmas from my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: