Two buff rare breed chickens

rowansc

Chirping
May 26, 2016
Anyone have any idea what these two girls are? They are supposed to be rare breeds. I got them in a rare breed assortment and have yet to identify them. The one on the left has very thick legs if that helps. She also lays medium beige eggs. The other one with less uniform coloring lays smaller light brown eggs.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Can you get better pictures? Profile shots of the birds standing, including legs and comb are best.

And what hatchery did they come from? That helps narrow things down.

:welcome

Can you get better pictures? Profile shots of the birds standing, including legs and comb are best. 

And what hatchery did they come from? That helps narrow things down. 

I'll try to take some better pics today when I get home. They came from Ideal Poultry in Cameron Texas.

Well hen in the photo by herself is likely a buff chantecler. They are a very nice cold-hardy dual purpose breed originating from Canada. Ideal also sells buff cornish though and she may be just a hatchery quality cornish. The other is not buff but a color called "wheaten" and without a better photo of the bird's profile, head and legs, I wouldn't be able to tell. I have seen hatchery stock New Hampshires that come out extremely pale as they approach molt and have aged feathers so that is a possibility.

Well hen in the photo by herself is likely a buff chantecler. They are a very nice cold-hardy dual purpose breed originating from Canada. Ideal also sells buff cornish though and she may be just a hatchery quality cornish. The other is not buff but a color called "wheaten" and without a better photo of the bird's profile, head and legs, I wouldn't be able to tell. I have seen hatchery stock New Hampshires that come out extremely pale as they approach molt and have aged feathers so that is a possibility. 

I keep trying to upload more pics but keep ending up with the same one showing. I was pretty sure one of them was a buff chantecler but wasn't sure which one. Now I'm at a loss as to what the other one is. She has very thick legs compared to all of my other chickens. Any idea what this one might be?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom