Two Buffs are tiny

heartfire9

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2016
Got sixteen chicks. They are all growing like weeds. All except for the two Buff Ophingtons. They eat and drink. They don't chirp unhappily. Though I did notice their crops don't seem to be swelled up like the rest of them. They are about 2 weeks old. Any thoughts on this??????

Is it possible they're being bullied and pushed away from the feeder?
Though, one thought, if your other birds are production breeds, that would explain them growing out faster than the slower maturing buffs.

Lost one of the tiny Buffs.
1f641.png
1f614.png
1f615.png
Not sure the other one will make it. Got two with failure to thrive I guess. Murry McMurray only warranties for 48 hours, but I am still going to inform them they have a problem with the Buffs.

Lost one of the tiny Buffs.
1f641.png
1f614.png
1f615.png
Not sure the other one will make it. Got two with failure to thrive I guess. Murry McMurray only warranties for 48 hours, but I am still going to inform them they have a problem
It may be travel stress. Go to Tractor Supply or your local feed store and buy the smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri Drench. Give the chick one drop only by mouth. Repeat as needed every 8-10 hours until perky. Put it in their water until the water looks like very weak tea. For the 1st 2 weeks they are with you to get them off to a strong start. This excellent emergency nutritional supplement does not need digesting. It will mainline the helps directly into the bloodstream avoiding the weak G.I. tract. measurable in the bloodstream in 10 minutes. with 50% uptake in 30 minutes and 99% utilization. I have used their Drenches for over 15 years on my collies and poultry, great stuff. Never had a sick or dead chick when raised on the Drench. http://www.nutridrench.com No need for other helps, just Drench, feed, water and grit.
Best,
Karen
If they don't have the Poultry formula, you can use the Goat formula, just make sure to use the poultry usage and dosage instructions above. I used Goat once with poultry instructions above with great success.

Last edited:
It may be travel stress. Go to Tractor Supply or your local feed store and buy the smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri Drench. Give the chick one drop only by mouth. Repeat as needed every 8-10 hours until perky. Put it in their water until the water looks like very weak tea. For the 1st 2 weeks they are with you to get them off to a strong start. This excellent emergency nutritional supplement does not need digesting. It will mainline the helps directly into the bloodstream avoiding the weak G.I. tract. measurable in the bloodstream in 10 minutes. with 50% uptake in 30 minutes and 99% utilization. I have used their Drenches for over 15 years on my collies and poultry, great stuff. Never had a sick or dead chick when raised on the Drench. http://www.nutridrench.com  No need for other helps, just Drench, feed, water and grit. 
Best,
 Karen
If they don't have the Poultry formula, you can use the Goat formula, just make sure to use the poultry usage and dosage instructions above. I used Goat once with poultry instructions above with great success.

They are 3 weeks old today. Can travel stress be a factor this far along? Both Buffs are really small. The smallest one was the one who passed. The other one still hanging in. I have been giving them all probiotics and quick chick which has vitamins and electrolytesee in their water every day. If you think it will help the other buff I can get the tractor supply stuff as well.

Thanks for feedback.

Laura

I think you're well past the point of stress from shipping. The Nutri Drench certainly wouldn't hurt though.
Most likely you've just gotten some genetically inferior birds from McMurray. Unfortunately that happens quite often when you order from hatcheries. They breed for quantity, with little to no regard for quality.

Back
Top Bottom