two chick problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cgjsmith, Apr 24, 2007.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Hi All! I got a couple of problems I need answers too if ya don't mind.
    1 I have a little polish chick who's bottom beak doesn't atch up to the top one. It strays to the left. Its not got any problems eating it just looks funny.
    and
    2 I have a white silkie whos going on 9 weeks, its two siblings died one the day I got it 8 weeks ago and another yesterday. everytime it raises its head it looks like its got virtigo Its head swings and snaps back. Is this a genetic thing or are they carrying some kind of disease? Crystal

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    If the beak problem isn't interfering with eating, it's probably OK. Beaks can be trimmed, but some knowledge is needed to do it. This is a defect, so do not breed from this bird.
    I'm not sure what is up with your silkie. It doesn't sound good, however. Did the one who died yesterday have the same symptoms?

3. cgjsmith

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    no it just never grew. It was half the size of the other white silkie. I'm suppose to have my chikens tested thursday so I'm hoping its nothing serious. If the person doing the testing says it needs a vet I'm going to take it. Crystal

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I had a goose that had a similar beak problem...she eats and drinks and makes really cute babies!!! Here is a pic of Snuffy..the kids named her Snuffaluppugus after Snuffy on Sesame Street..
    She died at 3 years old due to an injury. RIP Snuffy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Moving to Disease section for a little more help.

6. cgjsmith

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    TY Carla. I'm really puzzled about the little white silkie. My husband says its got too much hair on its head (ha ha:smack) cyrstal

7. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My aunt had a chick that couldnt hold its head up, but it was drinking and eating, and within a few weeks it was just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by