Two chickens dead in 24 hours! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carolyn227, May 7, 2011.

1. Carolyn227

Carolyn227 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Last night I noticed one of the chickens died. This morning the remaining 5 looked good, but we just got back from being out for a while and another one is dead. I have no idea what is going on or what to do. Help!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Some more info would help: Their age, what are they fed? Eggbound? Did you inspect them for lice/mites? When were they last wormed? What color is their poop? Any respiratory signs...sneezing, runny nose... etc?

3. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    They are about 6 weeks old, I haven't noticed anything strange about their poop but I'm new to this so I don't really know what to look for. We moved them outside earlier this week. they have a heat lamp at night and are in a pen. They're eating Purina chicken feed and I do give them some scraps as well.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend that you stop the scraps. Their innards are not full developed to digest scraps. Only feed them chick starter/grower til they are 18-20 weeks old, then switch to layer feed.
    Provide them some grit as well, free choice, they instinctively know to eat it. Visually inspect them for lice/mites.
    ETA: Are they sleeping inside a chicken house?

5. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    They're not in a house, but a pen with open sides. We have a heat lamp for night that we turn on. DH put some boards around part of it to give it three sides now so a little more protection from the elements. We're working on a house for them.

6. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Yes, you should definitly stop giving them scraps. At this age their digestive systems are too delicate to handle them.
    ETA: Good luck. [​IMG]

7. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    Thanks everyone. No more scraps for the birdies. And they now have three sides to help protect them a little more. I'm so sad that I had two of my chickies die! My DDs were sad too. [​IMG]

8. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I am doing NPIP next month for all my chickies... when i talked to the ag lady i asked her what the symptoms were? she said If you go out to your coop of 30 birds, and find 3 to 5 dead birds for no apparant reason you should worry. I forgot the proper same of the pathogen, but i believe it was salmonilla related. Of my 30 original chickies ( 10 WLH, 20 brown egg layers) I have only lost one bird due to leaving a metal fence in the coop after the floods here. It fell over and killed one of my red hens [​IMG] ask questions here to see if you may have this issue... it is zoonotic ( people can get it from the affected chickens) so keep children away from the coops until you know for sure what killed your birds. i recommend a narcropsy (SP) done by a vet.
    Donna in Branson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by