two chickens killed by our dog :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GaDawg, Jun 26, 2008.

1. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    We have a very gentle Australian shepherd, but she has killed 2 chickens in the past 5 days. Before she wouldn't even look at a rabbit or squirrel so I think she is either jealous or think they are getting her food. I don't know, but I showed her by going out and getting 5 more chicks....lol
    We've had to start tying her up when we let the chickens out. Hate it!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    You can't trust her in the future, once she's had the fun of killing one of your chickens. Please don't be casual about keeping the dog tied up. Do it, your chicks deserve better.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    So sorry!! You'll need to work with the dog, tho. Can't keep the dog tied up 24/7. And you'll want to be able to trust the dog with the chickens. I know people will come on and say never trust a dog around chickens, but I think it can be done. I've seen it done..... I have 2 dogs that mingle with the chickens with no problems. Take the dog on the leash and have the chickens out. Every time the dog looks at the chicken, pull back on the leash and say NO! Do this for a couple of weeks a few times a day. you could also lay the dog down on it's side and put a chicken on her and keep the chicken there for a few minutes....it's suppose to tell the dog that the chickens are part of the pack. Just be consistent with the training. Good Luck!

4. GaDawg

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    thanks for the advice, but I don't think she can be trusted. She did mingle with the chickens before now and we only tie her up between 4 and 8 the rest of the day she is free. I really do think she is jealous of them, she doesn't even break their skin. She really is a sweet dog and kind of cowardly.. This shocked us.
    Live and learn...

5. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    Will they still be trust worthy when you are not around?

My problem is worse because it is not my dog, so the dog is already breaking rules when he digs or climbs into my yard...I am afraid that killing a chicken will be just part of his "crime spree."

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I think that when she is outside, she needs to be in a dog kennel.

Chaining dogs up makes them vicious.

7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    If you free range your chickens, tying up the dog doesnt always work.

I know a blue heeler that would lay w/plenty of slack in her chain and wait. When the chickens wandered close, she would grab 'em. Since she had slack in the chain, the chickens couldnt get away.

A kennel for the dog or in the house when the chickens are out is best, if you cant trust the dog

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a boxer and I KNOW he would play them to death...he's only a year old so i'm going to let the chickens out later in the evening for a few hours when the dogs are inside. Later I will take him out on a leash and let his see the chickens and start working with him. I would never trust a dog alone with chickens...i'ts their natural instinct to give chase to birds so it's not their fault at all. It's just what they were programmed to do. I wouldn't be to angry with the poor lad. He's only doing what god programmed him for.

9. GaDawg

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    she has a house she can go into if she wants and we only let the chickens out when we can be there around or in our home.

we're not angry (just a little bit at first) just sad that this has to be done to keep the chicks safe.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  10. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    I have had a myriad of dogs in the last 10 years and ALL of them would eventually go after my chickens...just too tempting. I tried about everything to train some of them to no avail. Once they kill it is impossible to stop (in my opinion) and even if they "play" with one it is a killing thing for the poor helpless chicken.

Best thing for my stress and the lives and safety of my chickens is NO DOG!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by