Two chickens now balding

bygrace53

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 4, 2013
My Barred Rock has plucked her feathers off her back and tops of wings. She's been virtually bald for a long time now. No one is doing this to her, she is doing it. Now my fluffy healthy Silver Laced Wyndotte is starting to get a bare looking bottom. Left and right sides. The skin looks pink and maybe some red spots. I've dusted her with DE. Each day more seems to be missing. It is fuzzy thin feathers and bare skin. We are in Arizona. Horribly hot. I have a swamp cooler on them and ice water every day.

No I don't have a rooster so it's not over-mating. I also put a saddle on her for about 6 months and the feathers still didn't grow back. That is Gracie.She is also missing rear feathers. Now Pearl is starting to lose her rear fluff feathers on the left and ride side up to the leg. With some pink skin showing. I am certain this is not molting.

Make sure they are getting enough protein. Check over them for any type of bug. Do they have enough space? Or are they bored? I am not sure if chickens would do that because they are bored or stressed out but I know parrots do. Just an idea. Hope you figure it out!
-Emma

like emma said if they are bored or without enough space they will pick at each other and themselves they will also do this if they are low on calcium try putting a bowl of oyster shells in the coop

Thank you both. I definitely have enough space. Ample room in multiple rooms to get away from each other, and they also free range at the end of the day. They always have a container of oyster shells at their disposal and I see them eat it occassionally. I give them veggies every morning to supplement the feed. I'll try to beef up protein...

Back
Top Bottom