Two chickens, two problems: respiratory and foot problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kadieladie, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Kadieladie

Kadieladie In the Brooder

May 5, 2015
    Hello All -
    I have two chickens, one a RIR one a silkie/orpington mix (I think). Both are around 3 yrs old, both have lived happy, healthy lives. Until the past couple of weeks.

The RIR sounds like she has laryngitis. She eats and drinks well, tho her poo is a bit runny. Otherwise acting normally. It's been going on for a couple of weeks--she makes wheezy hen noises instead of happy hen noises, and when I pick her up her breathing sounds a little wheezy (this is a new development).

For the silkie/orpington, earlier this week she seemed to be favoring one leg, and then it turned into an obvious limp and she's taken to sitting rather than standing. She has black lumps around her toenails, and one large black bump on a toe. I gave her an Epsom soak for her feet, and when I washed around the big bump it bled a little. I've and have been spraying both feet with a bacatricin, and have bandaged the sore with some antibiotic ointment. I've searched online for bumblefoot and based on the photos I've seen, it doesn't quite fit the bill.

Both are currently living the posh life in a crate in the basement, much to my husband's chagrin.

Any ideas? For the foot, I'm wondering if the black bumps are frostbite? I'm in Upstate NY and it got SUPER cold this winter, and I'm wondering if it got to her feet? Not that she liked to wander in the snow--she prefers to stay in the snow-less coop. But I truly have no idea. I've never studied her feet--she's not a chicken who will easily be caught, so I don't spend that much time up super close with her. This is my first experience with chicken injuries/illness.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can post some closeup pictures of the feet, both tops and the bottoms of the footpads? Wheezing and hoarseness can be a sign of one of the many respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, or something environmental, such as mold. Here is a good link of common diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Kadieladie likes this.
  3. Kadieladie

May 5, 2015
    Thanks for your reply!!

Here are some pictures of Mrs. Feathertoes' feet.

On the respiratory front, do you take your best shot and treat it and if that doesn't work try something else? Is there anything that could potentially harm her?

I really appreciate your experience and advice!

Attached Files:

4. Kadieladie

May 5, 2015
    And a followup question: it seems as though it could be Newcastle or Bronchitis, based on the symptoms listed in the EDIS page. In either case, there's no specific treatment by antibiotics for 3-5 days *may* help. Do I call in a vet? Or is there somewhere to look for figuring out which antibiotics/dosage? Thank you again!!

5. ButteCA

ButteCA Songster

Apr 12, 2018
    I have a rooster with crusty feet like that and I was told he has scaly leg mites. I never knew what it was I just thought that is what chicken legs look like. I think he has has a prolonged case and it’s what caused his limp which I thought had been from him fighting with another rooster but it could be something else.

Kadieladie likes this.
  6. ButteCA

ButteCA Songster

Apr 12, 2018
    925434D4-FBCB-483E-A108-195EBA424B91.jpeg

7. ButteCA

ButteCA Songster

Apr 12, 2018
  8. Kadieladie

May 5, 2015
    ButteCA likes this.
  9. Kadieladie

May 5, 2015
    Did you treat him? If so what was/wasn't effective? Can I really just spray the legs with olive oil? Thank you!

10. ButteCA

ButteCA Songster

Apr 12, 2018
    Well it’s only been a couple days. I know store bought sprays are probably more effective so I would go that route but I’ve been mixing seven dust with olive oil and coating his legs with it because it seems to penetrate the scales better and then coating them with a thick layer of olive oil. That’s what I have laying around until pay day but it seems to be giving him some relief because every day after I treat him he has a little more spring in his step and he is a lot more friendly with the ladies if you know what I mean.

Kadieladie likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: