Two chicks blind in one eye?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sangel4you, Dec 28, 2009.

1. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I have two chicks I just hatched that are about 2 days old. I waited to ask to see if it went away, but it hasn't. I have two chicks that only open one eye. They each seem to see ok out the other eye and actaully get around very well but they don't open their opposite eye. The bad eye on each of them doesn't seem to be swollen or anything and has no pus coming out of it, and in fact they do OCCASIONALLY open it, like if I mess with them on that side a lot but never really voluntarily. Is there something I should be doing, and should I be concerned? I will try to post a pic...

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Are there any sharp objects in the brooder/incubator?

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I would think a warm moist compress a few times a day may help?

4. sangel4you

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    no sharp objects, and I did try to wipe their eyes out yesterday with no luck, but I will probably try the warm compress tonight.

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Perhaps low humidity or not enough time in the incubator before moving to the brooder? That happened to one of my little guys 3 weeks ago. He had multiple problems so I took him out too soon to deal with him and one eye never really opened. I would use warm compresses several times a day and he would open it but within a half hour it was shut again. He did not make it. [​IMG]

6. sangel4you

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    oh no! Well I can deal with two blind chicks esp since they dont seem to be affected by it...
    I'm just hoping it was the "other problems" that did yours in and not the limited eye [​IMG]

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:It was definitely the other problems and not the eye problem. I was actually relieved that he passed. I have a hen, blinded in one eye by a mean girl, and she struggles through her day. Here is what my little guys eye looked like. RIP baby.

[​IMG]

8. sangel4you

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    well Warden, the sad part is that is how mine looks. The good part is "righty" (whom we can't id anymore) apparently has healed bc I have 8 healthy looking Right eyes open looking at me now :) However, lefty still has his and otherwise seems doing well, but his eye seems to be more swollen. DH and tried the warm compress, but it's VERY hard to wipe out the eye of a tiny fragile chick that's chirping at the top of it's little lungs that wriggles away everytime I get the eye open to wipe it out. The actual eye looks cloudy and there is a slight bit of "gook" almost like a sleepyman. But the eye itself its cloudy too. I'm assuming that means there's no vision there?
    Since the warm cloth isn't working out so well does anyone have any ideas to make it go easier or anything else to try?
    I'm thinking about posting this in the illness section too...

9. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:You can try posting it there too. As I recall I didn't get much help when I did that. Someone suggested the warm compresses. I also had some vet eye ointment that I tried as a last resort in case it was infected but that did not work either. It was so sad. He was my only BLRW out of 6 to hatch. Well, I take that back, 2 hatched but one was a Buff Orpington. The sellers grandchildren messed with the hatching eggs. I have 8 more BLRWs from Janie Marie in the incubator now so I hope to get some from that batch.

Good luck with your baby. Lots of people have chickens with sight in only one eye including me, but life is a bit more difficult for them.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  10. irenew

irenew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2009
    We have one like that hatched a few days ago. The eyes were swollen and shut. I washed them with warm salty water but the problem didn't come right, it was sort of limp and dangly, we took it away from the others and it rested in a warm humid box .then we returned it to the group to feed and drink and it suddenly decided to drink. It drank heaps and its eyes popped open. It was still a little week so we seperated it again from the others and kept returning it to the group to drink then eat.
    It was only hatched a day(but was born overdue) but somehow must have been dehydrated. It seems fine at day2-3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by