1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two chicks hatched and no one else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyFowlFreak, May 16, 2009.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I had two pips yesterday morning and then by 11pm two chicks hatched. I got up this morning and there are no other pips? Should I be concerned?

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    What day are you on?

I'm on day 20 and have 3 pips. I would expect anything 'viable' to have by day 24 or so.

3. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Okay. I'm on day 20. Also, the chick from yesterday that had the yolk and gut-like goop hanging out of his bum has it almost dried up, but is tripping on it. Should I cut it off or what? He also won't open his eyes but is wandering around the incubator. Also, they're dry but crusty, just leave them?
    Thanks!

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:EEP! NO, NO CUTTING OFF!!

It means he hatched a little too early. He is trying to absorb the yolk and that will bleed if you cut it off and he will die.
    So let him try to absorb it and it will dry and fall off naturally. I'd be more concerned with other chicks pecking it and hurting him so keep an eye on it and isolate him if you have to, to give him a chance.
    Good luck!!!

5. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Still only these two and no more pips:( They are in their brooder as of 10 minutes ago and are both eating and drinking.
    The sick one is doing a touch better, I did cut way up by his butt where it looked attached by yolk and he is fine, no bleeding. Thank goodness. All dried up now, too. But, his belly is literally half the size of the other chicks. He's not walking as well, not as sure on his feet as the other, and he doesn't cheep as loud. I told DH he probably wouldn't make it and he got upset and told me that Rocky (he NAMED him!) was a fighter and he'd make it. [​IMG] So we shall see.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I only have two out of my most recent hatch as well. It happens.[​IMG] That said, we are really enjoying these little ones!

7. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Welp, the sick one fell into the water face first and was too weak to lift his head. [​IMG] We saved him from the drowning, well, at least from dying from the drowning and then he was drowning in his lungs so DH had to cull him. [​IMG]

The other chick is wonderful, all snuggled up to his stuffed bunny. Still not a pip on any of the others. I checked at day 18 and they were all moving? Ugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by