Two chicks questions (ok maybe a few more)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by From the North, Jan 25, 2013.

1. From the North

From the North Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    At what age do they start to really fly (as in fly enough to get out of a brooder with 20" sides?)

And, if I happen to get males in with my batch, how old are they before they start to crow? And if one was planning on just eating any roos, how old do you let them get before doing so?

I am assuming if you end up with more than one male, you need to separate them at some point, is this correct?

Thanks all!

2. PaleoDan

PaleoDan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Yardville, NJ
    I am new to this so please take this as just my experience so far...

I am not so sure about flying but they hop/jump pretty early and mine were able to get out of their tub within 3-4 weeks. I had to make a screen cover to keep them in. This year I found something to use as a brooder that has a locking screened lid with hinges.

The males did not crow for me until quite later. They were grown and outside the brooder box for months maybe. We wound up with two roosters and they quickly found out who was dominant once they matured some (maybe 4-5 months old). They did not fight at all prior to that and even after they picked who the "leader" was, they only fought if we were a little late letting them out in the morning. The sub-male (who was larger in size) kept his distance from the lead rooster in the yard. We still had some attacks and got rid of one of the roosters before it got out of hand but you should have some time, six months at least, before you have any real issues.

Good luck

Dan

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They will be able to get out of a 20" enclosure pretty early -- 2 weeks for some, 3-4 would be typical. Not all of them will try it but if there is a way to put a screen over the top, doing so could save you heartache.

My cockerel was full-blown crowing at 14 weeks but there is a wide range of normal.

4. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I have chicks born Oct. 21, 2012 that I know one at least is crowing already. I only hear him when I go let them out of the coop in the AM. He's in there crowing. Once they get out, the crowing stops. Go figure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by