1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Two chicks, Two different problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by storminthenight, Oct 15, 2009.

1. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Hi Guys,
    Ok the first problem is with a EE chick I got about two weeks ago. I got 8 from a feed store and all were perfectly healthy for the first few days, and the other 7 still are, but the I noticed one had a problem with its leg, it was hopping around on one leg, within a few days it seemed to get better first putting a little weight on it and then walking around with a bit of a limp, to seeming fine.
    Then a couple of days ago it seems neither of its legs are working and it now kind hobbles around with the help of its wings. Its eating and drinking but I dont know whats wrong, if it might get better, or if the best thing would be to put it down.

The second chick is a little black mix that one of our broody hens hatched out with 10 others. It acts normal and eats and drinks but its half the size of the others from its hatch. I decided to put it in with the EE chicks since the mom was getting to the point she wasnt hundling them under her very much and this one seemed to be getting cold. So now its in under a heat lamp and eating and drinking as much as it likes. It really seems to like the heat lamp. Its been in with them for a few days now and seems relatively healthy, maybe not as lively as some of the other chicks.

I've been putting the EE chicks outside for short periods, and today I put the little black mix out with them, but without 10 minutes it seemed to get cold so I put it back in and it went straight back to the lamp. Its such a friendly little thing, will come and sit in my lap

Any idea's on either of these two?

2. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Well a little update, the EE chick with the bad legs is a bit better today, its still laying down most of the time, but every now and again its actually getting up on both legs. This one is like a little Yo Yo.

The mix is still the same, it just doesnt seem to be growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by