Two chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Learningstill, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Hello,

We are sitting for someone and they have two chicks that they do not know anything about. My kids want to know what kind they are, but I have zero clue. Do not know their ages either, but I would guess a few weeks. One is larger than the other. They have similar eyes, kind of grey-blue.

The larger of the two has white feathers on its wings with some reddish-brown specks behind the neck. It still has down, which oddly enough is white with a light green haze. (It is not dirty) It is starting to get the crest and that is white. It's feet are yellow.

The smaller of the two has white and reddish-brown feathers all over, it's crest it also starting to grow and is white too. It has feathers on its feet. This one has some down left also, but just white.

Any ideas? I can post pictures tomorrow if needed. Thank you.....

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that pictures would help.[​IMG]

3. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    Okay, well we're in luck. My daughter was still up and needed me to do something, so I was able to take some quick photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    They are a little lighter in the natural light and outside their tub.

5. Veer67

The reddish colored chick might be a new hampshire red or a red sex link the white one could be a red sex link too ( if it is a red sex link then it is a male because it's white, females are reddish colored).

6. Veer67

7. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    Okay great! Thank you.

I have another question. My kids and I watched a chicken sexing video put on by I think someone from Tractor Supply. In the video the employee is separating the genders by picking the chick up by its head and if it lays still then it is a hen and if it kicks it is a roo. Do you think this is true? We did it to both and they laid still.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is absolutely correct........50% of the time. Its' an old wives tale. You know, because males are all active and aggressive, and females are all passive [​IMG]

Hope you're enjoying the chicks....

edited for snark removal

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  9. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    Another thing, I noticed the red sexlinks do not have feathers on their feet and the red chick does have feathered feet. Would it still be a red sexlink?
    Any other possibilities on the chicks breed? Thank you

10. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013
    Here are some pictures outside in the sun.

[​IMG]

This photo shows a black feather on white chicks back

[​IMG]

This photo shows how much bigger red chicks comb is

[​IMG]

This shows how much smaller white chicks comb is

[​IMG]

This shows the size difference between them

[​IMG]

Good profile of the white chick

[​IMG]

Good profile of the red chick, notice her feet.

Not sure what breeds they are, we were told the original owner has fancy breeds of chickens and rare chickens. Do not know if that helps, but thought maybe I should share. They look simplistic to me, but I do not know anything about chickens. I hope both are girls. :)

Thanks for looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by