Two Cockerels dead in the last week.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dcbcaaron, Nov 6, 2009.

1. dcbcaaron

dcbcaaron Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Dry Creek, LA
    This morning when i went to feed the flock one of my 9 month old cockerels was dead, a week ago same thing, another cockerel from the same hatch was dead. i have two hens from that hatch that still seem to be in great health, i have 1, 1 and a half year old rooster, and one more 10 month old cockerel. I also have 12 hens. Neither of the dead cockerels had any noticeable damage to them, the first was missing some feathers, but neither had blood or anything like that. I have been sneaking out to the coop at night and have not seen any predators, nor any sign of predators. Because both of the dead chicks have been cockerels i think it might be my older rooster getting too carried away proving his dominance. But around me and my wife and daughter he is the most friendly of all the chicks in the coop, and does not act territorial like a typical rooster. I guess the two questions i have are: What does a chicken look like if killed by another rooster? and Should i get my 10 month cockerel out until he is bigger? any advice would be appreciated.

2. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Usually a roo that is killed by another roo will have a gorey, bloodied up head as that is where they are pecked until they croak. Maybe something else is responsible for their deaths....

3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    I have heard tell of feral cats which stick their paws through fences and break necks trying to kill to eat but too stupid to realize the bird won't fit through the bars. A guy I know says he looses more chickens each year from that than from raccons, dogs, and mysterious illnesses combined.
    I don't know about you, but my cockerals are more curious than any of my other chickens, so a cat would draw them in easily.*shrug*
    It is a possibility. Not one I'd have thought of on my own, but that's why I share it... Keep an eye out for cats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by