Two Cockerels free to good coop!

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by My Nine Girls, Jul 13, 2016.

1. My Nine Girls

My Nine Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    I have one Naked Neck and one mixed breed (he's my avatar picture). I live in Pasadena MD if anyone is interested, please let me know. They are just starting to cockadoodledo and will be too noisy for my neighborhood. I was told they were hens when I got them.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your current avatar pic is of a pullet...

3. My Nine Girls

Jun 29, 2012
    But it just started cockadoodledoing!

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's most definitely a female. Looks like a Silkie/Game mix. No male feathering at all. Pattern is fairly uniform and even, and the comb is pretty darn small.
    Are you sure it's not the egg song you're hearing?

5. Kdlevesque

Kdlevesque Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2016
    The tail and saddle feathers say male to me but...I see no comb. I am a newbie since I've only been keeping chickens since March so I could be wrong. :)

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Look past the feather pattern to the shape of the feather. The feathers on the back (saddle) are all very rounded. And I've got quite a few black hens with iridescent tail feathers, it's just something that occurs in black feathers.

7. My Nine Girls

Jun 29, 2012
    No it's definitely cockadoodledo! Maybe part mocking bird[​IMG] I'm going to take some close pics and post.

8. Kdlevesque

Kdlevesque Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2016
    I still say male but Junebuggena is much more experienced than me so let me know how it pans out!

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    There was a person, last year, that had a crowing pullet. She was copying her brother. Once the cockerel was rehomed, she stopped crowing. And she did start laying eggs, so that proved, once and for all, it was a female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by