Two cockerels have me frantic!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Dec 22, 2010.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Penrod and Darrel were brooder mates, and now they're seven months old. Penrod is a Buff Brahma and has decided he's alpha over Darrel who's a Black Cochin and a bit smaller and lighter-weight.

Darrel has been fine with his status all along, but now that's not enough for Penrod. For the last two nights, Penrod has ambushed Darrel in the coop at roosting time, attempting to tear him limb from limb. I mean - the feathers fly, and if not for my intervention, there could have been injuries to Darrel.

During the day, they mostly get along fine, except for Penrod decking Darrel periodically out of principle. The boys' pen is adjacent to the hens', but both sexes don't mingle or free-range together, since I've had it with hens with bald backs. (These boys are still virgins.)

Is Penrod gearing up to lay complete waste to Darrel, even though Darrel has never fought back and shows no interest in challenging Penrod? Or, dare I hope, will things settle back down in a day or two?

The two reside in their own coop separate from the hens. I designed the coop to be partitioned down the middle and half will be for future broodies to raise their chicks. So I could put the partition up now so the boys can be separated at night, but I hesitate to do this since they might get used to the arrangement, then it would spoil things for the future boodies.

Any ideas or benefits of sage experience out there? This is my first experience having two roosters at the same time.

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    My advice is get rid of the mean rooster. I am going to send mine to freezer camp after the holidays...he has singled 1 hen out of 11 to mount unmercifully until she has no more feathers! He will knock the others over trying to get to her! Poor thing she runs screaming...I had to bandage her back and make a chicken saddle to help keep her warm! Yesterday I let them out about 1 hour before dark and he did the same thing (I had him in a dog crate all day and all night), ran past 10 other hens to chase my one terrified and featherless hen. I caught him by the tail and jerked him off, then threw him back in the dog crate. He is gonna be roast roo after the holidays!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Roast Roo! Yeah, I'm sorely tempted!

Wish you were close, and I'd invite you to perform the "operation"! I don't have the stomach for it. I hope there are other alternatives.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have to agree with oldchickenlady as well. You definitely don't want to keep a mean roo.

The first time culling is the hardest...I suggest eating before you do the deed, cuz you probably won't eat for the rest of the day, but soon you will find that what needs to be done does in fact get done. It's hard, but worth it...I'd hate to see it come down to you having to cull Darrel due to injury especially when Penrod is clearly the one that needs to go.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    So far, no one has indicated that Penrod may be having a bad couple of days, and he'll get over it.

I'm a little closer to deciding to cull Penrod than I indicated. He's also given me a couple of nasty injuries this week. He has a very nasty habit of pecking my hand, taking bites of flesh as he pecks.

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Once they start their nastiness, they most likely DONT get over it. I've had some of the sweetest roos that I've ever had reach puberty and had to put them down. Yeah, I don't think he'll grow out of it...in fact, it sounds to me like he likes it and is making it a habit. If he's caused injury to you, don't even waste another thought on it...it's not worth the questioning, or the pain.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks for the responses. It's helped my anxiety considerably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by