Two coops and a RUN! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by StephanieD, Apr 6, 2011.

1. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    We recently made a run to attach to an existing coop for a flock of 4 adult hens. The smaller triangular shape one is for momma and her 4 chicks. I do NOT recommend this A-frame to anyone, it is so hard to open and close and it's SMALL! I purchased it off Craigslist in a bind and it is working for the chicks for now. Hopefully they can be mixed in with the existing flocks as they get older, they are 3 weeks old now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. loubapache

loubapache Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
    Nice run.

What kind of roof panels did you use? Also what is the roof pitch (slope) and where are you located (snow)?

I have a similar run like yours and I am putting a roof on this spring.

Thanks,

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I am with you on the A frame. I built one that I thought I would like and I hate it!
    The chickens love it but it is a royal pain to deal with. I will take my quick pens any day!
    Mine is probably bigger than yours but I still hate the design.

I love your bigger pen though.[​IMG]

4. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Nice. I'm really starting to think I should put a roof on my run. It gets so wet here. I'm worried they won't get enough sun though. Dilemma!

5. loubapache

loubapache Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Western Michigan
    Quote:I am using transparent polycarbonate so light can still come in.

I would not use that type of roof for a coop but it is perfect for the run.

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I think the A frame would be great for little chicks when they are first out.

7. urbanfarmette

urbanfarmette Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Southeastern Wisconsin
    What kind of roof panels did you use? Also what is the roof pitch (slope) and where are you located (snow)?

i would guess that they live somewhere that doesn't get much more than flurries based on the foliage in the background. looks similar to where my dad lives in northern florida.​

8. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    Yes we are in Florida! It is a metal roof and I'll have to ask my husband about the pitch of the roof.

Thanks for the comments too!

9. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:i would guess that they live somewhere that doesn't get much more than flurries based on the foliage in the background. looks similar to where my dad lives in northern florida.

The roof is pitched at about 2 feet. Roof panels are 14 feet long purchased from a roof company. We do not have flurries here... just lots of heat!

10. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:i would guess that they live somewhere that doesn't get much more than flurries based on the foliage in the background. looks similar to where my dad lives in northern florida.

The roof is pitched at about 2 feet. Roof panels are 14 feet long purchased from a roof company. We do not have flurries here... just lots of heat!

Looks like about two inches to me.... perfect pitch for a non snow climate. Even here when we get a total of 72 hours of snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by