two coops, two flocks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roxyz, Nov 2, 2011.

1. roxyz

roxyz New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    My partner and I started off with one coop and one flock (3 chickens). We then got 'the itch' and had to have some chicks, so we decided to buy another coop and connect the two coops with a run. So it looks kind of like this (the xs are the coops and the dashes are the run). X--------------X We thought that when we added the babies and things settled down that they would choose a coop with their flock and use both coops. Nope. They all squish themselves into one coop! I guess, in a way, this is a good sign, because it means (I think) they have joined forces and are one flock now. But it also means they're squished up together at night and the other coop (which was expensive) is going unused. There really isn't a way to expand the coop they use, and we really don't want to start all over with a bigger coop that all will fit into, because we've invested a lot of money into the setup we have now.

Any suggestions? Is there anything we can do to get them to divide up at night and is this even a good idea?

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you lock each flock up in their own coop for a week or so, they will get the message.
    Actually, just lock up the new flock for a while.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:feed them only in coop there not using

4. roxyz

roxyz New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Is it a good idea to intervene or should I leave them be? Do you mean take all of the babies out and put them in the other coop every night?

5. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks like good chicken math......I'd get more chickens [​IMG]

Ok back to being serious....if you live somewhere that has bad winters I would seperate them during the harsh parts when they cant even come outside most of the day. If you dont have bad winters.... refer back to chicken math!

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You've got it! Personally, I would lock them up 24/7 for a week or so.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  7. roxyz

roxyz New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Well...about the chicken math...we'd love to, but we're limited to 6 because we're near the city. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when chick fever hits in the Spring! :)

8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Obviously you need to buy more chickens to put in the coop that they're not using. It's simple chicken math! [​IMG]

9. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan

if they thought they where crouded theyed use the other coop

10. roxyz

roxyz New Egg

Jul 27, 2011

I don't really want to do that (lock them up for a week or so) because the coops don't have any light, so they would be in the dark for that long. I think I'll try locking them up in the separate coops at night and see how that goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by