Two coops with one run in the middle

Neddie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Southwest Oklahoma
I am sitting here with freezing nasty weather outside, dreaming about spring. We currently have a 16x17 foot run with a small 4x8 elevated coop inside. If we build another coop and attach it to the existing run how do the birds decide which coop to go to? Will they naturally divide themselves or all try to cram into their favorite coop and leave one empty? Thx for any advice.

What its going to come down to, is where they call home. If you are keeping your current flock they will probably go to their old home, they might venture to the new one but i kinda doubt it. What you can do is separate them and keep some in the new house for a week or two, then they should start calling the new coop home.

I have three large coops (well Sheds really) that feed in to a single run
one Shed is exclusively for the Ducks and they evict any Chickens at bed time.
The other two are fair game my older hens all use their original Shed but last years Hatchlings and the ones we bought new last year flip from one to the other even same breeds

We bought 5 Scots Grey and two of them can't decide which coop to use from one day to the next

At the moment all the roosters (5 of them) are in with the older Hens

One thing is consistent though they all use the same communal nest box on the side of the shed which can do 5 birds at a time

Thank-you for the information. I am still in the planning stage and appreciate any ideas and suggestions. It's good to know the chickens can decide for them selves and I don't have to worry about supervising who sleeps where. Thanks, again.

Back
Top Bottom