two-day old chick in bad shape, please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Audry, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Audry

Audry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    We got a shipment of baby chicks at 6:30 this morning, most of them for my mom, who came and picked them up a couple hours later. They all seemed to be doing fine when they were here, but now one of them has what my mom is calling a crusty bump on its belly, and is very listless. Just laying around - they took it out of the brooder because the others were pecking it as it laid on the floor. The attached is a photo of the bump - hard to tell what it really looks like, but you can see how it's just laying in my sister's hands. I'm trying to see if they can take a better photo. If I get a better one, I'll upload it, but wanted to try to get some advice as quickly as possible.

Anyone have any ideas what they can do for it?

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    To me that looks to be the umbilical stump. If its close to its vent it could have pasty butt. Id say its probably really stressed from the shipping. I got an order of chicks on monday, and had one I had to baby the first day. I fed her chick starter mixed with some sugar water from a childrens medicine dropper. Today she is eating, drinking, pooping and keeping up with the other chicks. Don't give up hope, show the little one some extra love and it may be alright.

3. Audry

Audry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Thank you. Unfortunately the chick just died :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by