1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

two day old chick not as active as the other chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Apples, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Apples

Apples Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2012
    At My Farm!
    She doesn't seem as interested in walking around/eating/drinking as the rest. Is there some sort of home made supplement I can give her? TIA!

2. GrandmaChickie

GrandmaChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Does she seem sleepy/lethargic? Or just kind of taking it easy?

3. Apples

Feb 4, 2012
    At My Farm!
    She is definitely sleepy and lethargic. Now she is lying down, sorta sprawled out. I have dipped her beak tip in the water and she makes a very small effort to drink, not much!! I have her under the brooder light, and just don't know what else to do for her.

4. GrandmaChickie

GrandmaChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    So sorry! Was going to follow up sooner on your post, but... Anyway, is your chick still alive? If so, try some sugar water in an eye-dropper. If this seems to give her some energy, add some finely-ground up feed to the sugar-water. If you can, give this to her every 20-30 minutes until she starts eating/drinking on her own. They make elyctrolyte (sp?) mixes for chicks, and these are probably better than the sugar water, but you said you wanted a "home-remedy." Hope this works!

5. Apples

Feb 4, 2012
    At My Farm!
    She did pass away very soon after I posted. We had just brought her home, so I figured I did not even have time to go get the store stuff. I did try the sugar water as much as she would take. It happened so fast :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by