Two day old chick trying to fight older pullets!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Novaleigh, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I got an EE named Mothra (supposed to be sexed as a pullet) and brought her home with 9 other chicks who were only a day old. I put them all in a large brooder that already had two, one day old turkey poults. The turkey poults tried to peck at the small chicks, but some of the EEs fought back. Now the poults learned not to mess with the chicks. However, one of the EEs, Mothra, has taken things a step further. Mothra and her gang live in a brooder that is inside the main chicken coop. The brooder is made of small bird proof chicken wiring (strong stuff!) so that the chicks and older pullets can see each other at all times and get to know each other safely. But when three of the older pullets tried to investigate the chicks, Mothra charged to the wire fence and tried to attack the older pullets, cock fighting style!!! Mothra is not a bully to any of the chicks or poults in the brooder (but will attack the ducklings feet with great vigor and persistence, resulting in the ducklings getting their own brooder built for separation).

Is this a sign of aggression? Is it a sign of protecting the others? Mothra was supposed to be a pullet. Is Mothra showing signs of being a roo? Is this even normal for a two day old chick to show such behavior?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have heard that EEs can be aggressive. The roos particularly have a bad reputation. I have never seen it myself- my EEs are as gentle as lambs, and my roo is a lover not a fighter.

I am guessing you may have a accidental boy on your hands. If he is this aggressive at this young age, then I would cull him sooner rather than later. Nothing worse than a nasty roo.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by