Two day old chicks beating up weaker one

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sweetjelly, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Sweetjelly

Sweetjelly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    Hello, This is my first time ever with quail and three babies hatched yesterday. Our joy has since turned into high anxiety and "OMG what should we do?". Is it normal behavior for one chick to peck and grab and bite and pull another all over the brooder? Can serious damage be done to each other and should I separate them? They have food and water and temp of 100 but one seems particularly aggressive and the later hatchling is not as strong as the other two. I've read about cannibalism in adult quail if they are overcrowded but this is not the case and the babes are only 2 days old! I need helpful advice quickly...I'm afraid for them. Thanks in advance.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

what kind of quail?
    Is there blood anywhere ? They are all somewhat attracted to blood so once there's a small wound ,get the chick out of there so it can heal.
    Is it still only the 1 chick beating up the younger? There may be something physically wrong with the 1 chick that you cannot see but it can....
    perhaps separating the 1 mean chick until more hatch out then try them back together again?

edited cuz i didn't read the ? correctly the 1st time....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. Sweetjelly

Sep 20, 2010

Here is my divided brooder. It'll work in the short run but another babe is hatching out right now in the incubator and I can't keep dividing this box any further.
    Help me please

4. Sweetjelly

Sep 20, 2010
    I can't get the photo to show up even though I uploaded it. Anyway...mhwc56, I don't think there is blood; I can't see any. I've divided the little brooder up and the weak one is alone so she can rest. Another baby just hatched and I'm getting way nervous about where to put them all. We only prepared for the one set-up. Maybe, like you said with a little time going by, they can go back together. Have you ever had chicks acting so aggressive?

Now, I wish I would have bought a book on the topic...alas.. a little late now.

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

what species of quail ?
    if it's only the 1 chick being mean i would separate IT from everyone who is peaceful, rather than the other way around. How many eggs are you hatching ?

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I had one coturnix do this when there were only 4 or 5 in the brooder. It would grab the leg of a smaller chick and drag it around. After a dozen or so were hatched and there was a bit of a crowd, the problem stopped on its own. I hope yours does too. Bill

7. Sweetjelly

Sep 20, 2010
    Thank you both for your help! Just knowing there are people who have been there is comforting. We now have 4 hatched; Dad is a Texas A&M and Mom is one of four: a Texas A&M, a Manchurian, a Japanese Brick, and a Tuxedo. Whatever they are now, they are sure cute! I have the weaker one in with the latest hatched and the two other stronger & aggressive ones together.

I'll try putting them altogether tomorrow if the younger ones seem up to it.

Thanks again...I finally figured out how to post a picture [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Japanese Brick

WHAT IS THIS?​

9. Sweetjelly

Sep 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

These are my four females...the second from the left is the Japanese Brick (I thought that's what the breeder told me) or maybe Brickback. Anyway, she's the beautiful brunette and it's hard to see but she has a pattern that looks like bricks. The male Texas A&M on the right is admiring his harem as they bask in the fresh sand.

Here's the latest...my fab four who are getting along beautifully! I LOVE THEM!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  10. Sweetjelly

Sep 20, 2010
    Hey True BYC Addict:

I'm from Crystal River, FL and I got these girls from Fancy Farms in Hudson!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by