two day old welsummers, any guess on gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jster, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    It's hard to get close up pics because they're with their Mama and she's pretty protective, here's what I have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I think it's almost impossible to tell at this point. My Welsummer chicks all had what is supposed to be pullet coloring except for one, it had the roo coloring. Well guess what? I ended up with four roos and one pullet. So I think that is somewhat unreliable.

3. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
  4. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Is that their real mommy? She looks like a red star or something.
    Cute chicks. I have no idea what gender they are though. [​IMG]

5. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    She's a surrogate mama, a red sex link that decided to go broody. They are darling together and it's so fun to see this part of her personality. She's gone from dumbest chicken to bossy alpha chicken to doting Mama, Mama-bird is always surprising us. Next she'll start crowing just to throw us off. [​IMG]

Guess we'll have to wait on the gender determinations, darn. And last night I just read about vent sexing but I guess you have to do it before they start eating, so we're too late.

6. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It's so hard to wait to find out what you've got! I'm waiting right now to find out what my Polish are...I'm hoping for all pullets, but I've never been that lucky before. [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I, too, do not rely on the markings for sex on Welsummer. I used to and found out I got more roos than pullets. Its unreliable, unfortunately.

Good luck and they are cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by