two days early - pipped and cracked 6 hours ago and now no progress

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shaun, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Shaun

Shaun Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    SW Central Michigan
    Blue Slate eggs that I just took from the turner this morning. One has a crack on the correct end, the other is pipped thru on the small end. This all happened over 6 hours ago, and there has been no more progress.

Any ideas?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    It can take 12-24 hours from pip to hatch. Once they begin to zip around the egg, then it usually goes pretty quickly. But that pip to zip period seems like an eternity! Get your popcorn, soda and pull up a chair, it's riveting!

3. Shaun

Sep 24, 2008
    SW Central Michigan
    Thanks for the info - everything I could find online said 5-10 hours -- we're at 8 and a half and no further progress at all. Gonna be a sleepless night - and I've got to work 24 tomorrow.... Can't believe these guys are so early!!

4. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:The estimates are just averages, not anything set in stone. Chicks are like human babies, they all have their own schedules! Get that coffee ready for the a.m., it's going to be a loooong day!
    Good luck and keep us posted w/ pictures!

5. Shaun

Sep 24, 2008
    SW Central Michigan
    Adozengirlz - have you hatched turkeys before? I've hatched tons of chix... but seem to kill off all the poults. Any sage advise

6. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Sorry, no turkies here. I think there's a turkey section on here somewhere though...isn't there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by