Two dead babies :( -- 6 wks old...Why?/

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scalaway, Apr 29, 2009.

1. scalaway

scalaway Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    hey all--Hope you can help--We've got 26 babies -- they're 6 wk old and we just moved them to the coop three days ago--All's gone well, except this afternoon when I went to check on the babies, two were dead [​IMG] -- There wasn't any marking or anything on their bodies--and I know everyone was healthy etc...--What could have happened?? They were together--I wonder if they were "smothered" last night and I just didn't see this morning when I checked [​IMG] -- if so, how can you keep the babies from climbing all over each other etc?? It wasn't terribly cold (50ish??) out and they've been out from under the heat lamp for quite awhile--at least two weeks?? I hate losing babies..I want the rest to be safe--Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help --

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would put a heat lamp in there for another week or so.. I didnt unplug mine til it was in the upper 60's at night and may still turn it on if the temp drops...

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    It was probably too cold. I'd keep the heat on longer.

4. scalaway

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    We did last night [​IMG] -- I haven't been out there yet this am---on my way soon---made me so sad!! You get to love those little critters!! --Thanks guys....

5. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    OMG... you scared the daylights out of me....We didn't put a heat lamp out with our chicks 6weeks old, they've been outside since Monday, and last night it got down in temps (35ish)... I'm in upstate NY....
    After reading your post, I couldn't imagine what i was going out to.... I quickly got off line and ran out to see.
    When i opened the pop door, they ALL came running...I keep all food and water outside, so i guess they were hungry and thristy, thank goodness! BIG SMILES here... [​IMG]

So now my question....should I put out a heat lamp? I was pretty lucky that no one died? What's the rule for temps, under 50? 60?
    It has been sooo hot here, then yesterday it was back to where it should have been in the mid 60s. today's the same....not so cold tho, tonight, i think high 40s.
    Melinda

6. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Last year, I put 6 week old out in the coop. The temps were 50-ish at night. I bungeed the lamp to a ladder. Turned it on in the evening & back off mid-morning. You know, some of the chickens didn't go near it and some sat directly under it. They know what they need.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I agree fully.. I would rather they had and not need it then need it and not have it...

8. scalaway

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    Had the heat light last night--only two were under it-which is okay--the big thing was that everyone is doing well this am--which is good!! We've got a daggone chicken hawk hanging out in the yard now---we've got everyone under cover, but it makes me crazy!! Just leave my babies alone!! Thanks for all the advice [​IMG] -- Any suggestions on how to keep a hawk out of your yard--other than a 22??[​IMG]??

9. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    They need to be kept at 70 degrees. 50 is to cold for them. Walmart sells a heat bulb that puts out 75 watts and works very well for about $6.

With that many chicks I would make sure you have two bulbs on each end of the coupe so they can all stay warm. We also put an old towel down for them and they love to snuggle in it.

10. norwich

norwich Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Do the chicks have a roost to perch on? That will also help prevent them from smothering one another and aid in keeping them warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by