Two dead chickens and one sick. Please help!

MamaChicken4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 3, 2014
Upstate New York
I found two dead chickens over night a few days ago. Another one was acting sick (lethargic, can't jump or fly). After I did some research I found out it could be worms. I got safeguard and have been giving my sick chicken that for three days and she's been inside my house in a crate. Shes acting less lethargic, but still can't jump or fly and isn't moving around much.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be or if I should just wait it out?

I have rhode island reds, barred rocks, and buff orpingtons. All five months and aren't laying yet.

If you have chickens of different ages, or they have come from multiple places, then I would suspect coccidiosis with some of your symptoms. Coccidiosis usually causes lethargy, standing puffed up, weakness, diarrhea (with or without blood,) poor appetite, and ruffled feathers. Treatment is Corid or amprollium from the feed store cattle section. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Last edited:
They are all from the same place and I got them all two days old together. The sick one is eating and drinking. Just not moving around much and weak and tired.

Chickens can get coccidiosis at any age if exposed to it, but it can be common to around 20 weeks of age. Worms can also be possible. Enteritis is an intestinal disease from the soil, and may be common if chickens have had an underlying cocci infection. Treating with Corid or amprollium for coccidiosis is not harmful to chickens, but it may be beneficial if that is the problem.

Would they all have it? The rest of the flock has been fine this week.

And do you have experience with birds being sick from worms? I'm wondering how long it takes to recover once medicated if it is worms.

Back
Top Bottom