Two Dead Chickens in Two Days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MooMoo62, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MooMoo62

MooMoo62 New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    I need some help folks. I have lost two Buff Orpingtons of my mixed breed flock in the past two days. Yesterday, when I went out in the morning to take care of the girls, one of the Buffs was lying dead in the coop with her head and neck a bloody pulp. I thought it was a predator and set up a Trail camera. This morning another Buff was dead, in exactly the same circumstances. I am down to 4 chickens, one more Buff. Any suggestions?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It sounds like a predator, mink or weasel. Check every inch of the coop for small openings, holes where walls and floors meet, vents not covered with hardware cloth etc. Put trail cam in coop pointed at roost area. If you have a dog or access to one, get the freshest poop available and place it around the coop as a deterrent. I hope you don't lose any more birds :(

3. MooMoo62

MooMoo62 New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    Thank you so much for your reply. We had the trail cam set up last night and didn't see any activity. I will move it into the coop and face it towards the roost. I really appreciate your help. Let's hope tomorrow is a better morning![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by