two dead chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jazziemay, Jun 20, 2010.

1. jazziemay

jazziemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Two chickens out of my small flock just quickly killed over one day and one the next. Noticed one wobble around and then die in less than 3 minutes. They are free range and could have they got into something around the area or what? They are fed well with lots of fresh water. Big healthy chickens. Two days later, there are no more dead...Maybe I should keep them in until I can figure out what happened to them. They were only going two years...[​IMG]

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Did you have a heat wave? Some individual chickens are more susceptible to heat.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Please go to the "emergencies, disease etc." topic and answer the "sticky" questions in order.

Hope things are better

Rancher

4. jazziemay

Jan 29, 2010
    Rhode Island red; about 1 1/2 yrs; over 3 lbs; big healthy; wobbles, falls beak first and dead less than 3 minutes.; I was about all day and didn't notice anything wrong.; found one warm dead. Next day watched another wobble and die as above. No trauma noted; use straw bedding and pine shavings. I noticed at edge of my property neighbor sprayed, and also found small dead oposssum with no apparent inury. I have dogs, but wasn't chewed up. So may be chicks pecked at it and it was sick????[​IMG]

5. jazziemay

Jan 29, 2010
    NO HEAT WAVE...sorry forgot to mention that. Thank you everybody...

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Poisoned possum?

Snake bite?

Find out what the neighbor sprayed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by