Two dead chicks with no injuries

Pics

A.M. Eggs

Songster
Jan 7, 2018
Wichita Falls, TX
I am just having the worst luck with these chicks! Everything was going fine after they arrived until today. It was a normal day with my chickens until I went into the chick coop. There I find two of my chicks dead! Oddly I didn’t any symptoms the night before. I will say that I haven’t cleaned their coop since they arrived, and that’s my mistake, but I have gone three weeks without cleaning and not had any issues. When I cleaned it this morning, after discovering the two dead, I found wet wood chips under the dry. Could that have been a factor? Before I put the chicks back inside I want to make sure that there is nothing else I should do. What happened?

One of my chicks pooped this. Could it be cocci? I had them vaccinated for cocci and I didn’t give them medicated feed so I don’t know what’s going on.

Attachments

• 78FF04F6-6FC4-4607-A78E-907EECAF177C.jpeg
    78FF04F6-6FC4-4607-A78E-907EECAF177C.jpeg
    540.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
One of my chicks pooped this. Could it be cocci? I had them vaccinated for cocci and I didn’t give them medicated feed so I don’t know what’s going on.
I can't zoom in on this picture for some reason. (on my computer)

Are you seeing RED in this?
Do you have Corid on hand or can you get some today?

Three weeks of poop is a lot of poop.
A high change they are eating some poop.

I see a little blood-red coloring in the poop but cocci is dihorria with red isn’t it? This poop is still solid. I have the chicks vaccinated for it so it shouldn’t be a problem, but could it not work sometimes? We have had a lot of rain so that makes favorable conditions for cocci. It doesn’t help that I found wet wood chips in their coop.

I see a little blood-red coloring in the poop but cocci is dihorria with red isn’t it? This poop is still solid. I have the chicks vaccinated for it so it shouldn’t be a problem, but could it not work sometimes? We have had a lot of rain so that makes favorable conditions for cocci. It doesn’t help that I found wet wood chips in their coop.
Cocci is different than coccidiosis.

I would treat the remaining birds for coccidiosis with Corid if I were you.

I know zero about the vaccine for coccidiosis but I wouldn't trust it.

Back
Top Bottom