Two dead chicks :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dodgersmomma, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Last night I put my 4 chicks in the coop for the 3rd day and when I woke up to let them out 2 were dead on the ground, they had been pecked to death by my bigger chickens and the other two were hiding in a corner. I rushed in to get the babies and the chickens went for the smaller of the two survivors, I managed to catch her before any really bad damage was done but there was no saving the other two, they were to far gone [​IMG]. One was mine and the other one was my little brothers. I brought the 2 live chicks in the house and back into the brooder. I didn't know what else to do. They are two months old and are getting to big to be in the house. I had to tell my brother that a snake got to them but I feel so bad, my sisters chick (one of the survivors) was stumbling a little bit but seems good now. Is there anything I should watch for? They just want to sit on my lap and I think that's because I saved thier life. Can someone explain why my chickens did this? Can someone tell me how to stop it from happening again?

2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I have so very limited experience, but I would not put new chicks with and already established flock. The new ones need to be with the flock, but in a crate so both groups can see each other but cannot get to each other. As far as my experience goes, maybe up to a week.

I am so sorry for your loss, and maybe another with more experience will come on to help.

Also, when you do let the others out, make it a day you can be there to supervise, just in case you need to get the little ones out quick!

I have also read on here it is not advisable to add a certain age chick to an already established flock, but don't remember how young/old is recommended??

Hopefully another member will come on to help ! Good Luck.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It's their nature. Survival of the fittest. The cruel but vital rules of nature.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The same thing would of happened to me if I didn't integrate slowly. I separated the two flocks by a wire dog kennel inside the coop. I switched out the groups in the dog kennel and I did this for 3 weeks, until they were use to each other. It was a long process. I'm so sorry you lost two chicks.[​IMG] It's best to wait until the young ones are least 3 months before introducing, so they have a chance to defend themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by