Two dead guniea fowl !

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by wamflock, Nov 10, 2014.

1. wamflock

wamflock Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    I had two guniea fowl when I left for work. When I got home 1 is missing and feathers are everywhere. And the other I found intact but dead. They were in our chicken yard that was fenced but the gate was open as our chickens free range during the day. I have 7 chickens and they were all fine but they were hiding under a Leland cypress tree and would not come back in the fenced area until I went in. The one fowl was in the corner of the fenced area, but no obvious wounds. Then I found 3 piles of feathers I presume from the other hen, but no hen found. Anyone have any ideas? My husband thinks a bird of prey, I think a dog since the other bird was killed but not taken. These fowl were not afraid if our dogs so I'm thinking a dog... But our chickens are fine....?????

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Guineas tend to be more fascinating to prey than chickens. Especially dogs, dogs will want to chase the one that makes the most noise and runs fastest. That'll be the guinea for you. I would secure the chicken yard and make sure that there is something for them to jump on to get away from a land predator and something to hide under to get away from a airborne predator.

3. wamflock

wamflock Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    We found out its a hawk! We have since secured a smaller area that we were able to put protection over top the pen. My girls are a little unhappy but at least they are safe. I've had chickens for about 3 years and this has been the first time we have had trouble with birds of prey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by