Two dead hens????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoByTwo, Aug 14, 2011.

1. TwoByTwo

TwoByTwo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    I have had chickens for a year now with no problems until the last few months. We set up a new coop for more chickens and they are fine. But the ones I've had for a year are dropping like flies. Tonight we had to put down my favorite hen. We went to gather the eggs tonight and my children came running out of the coop screaming. She was in the nesting box with her insides hanging almost to the floor. About 1 1/2 ft. Long. What am I doing wrong? They have ate the same thing for a year. This makes two that we have lost for their insides coming out. Can anyone help?oh and there was a regular egg and one that was squishy that was busted.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    It could be a predator too. Did it look like the hen had her skin ripped open?

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I am sorry this is happening to you.... I don't have a lot of experience, but I wonder if this might be some type of laying issue. Were the two that died the same breed?

4. TwoByTwo

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    No I don't think it was a predator. She looked fine other than her rear. Im so upset. At lest I have four of her eggs that im getting ready to incubate. At least I can have some of her babies.

5. TwoByTwo

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    Yes they were the same breed americanas. But I have quite a few more from the same hatch that are ok so far.

6. rjlanger2

rjlanger2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Central Texas
    I'm sorry you lost two of your girls. You're not doing anything wrong. I believe the term is called prolapse. It usually happens in younger hens when they first start laying but can also happen if a hen is laying a larger than usual egg. The "guts" are pulled (or pushed) out with the egg. There usually isn't all that much you can do about it. You can attempt to "gently push" everything back in but there is no guarantee that will help. Also, the odds of it happening again are very high. It's something you really don't have much control over.

Again, sorry you lost two.

(Edited to add link) Try this link for additional info - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=793&p=4

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by