Two dead in one day..thanks, dh and dog!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimntep, Jan 16, 2014.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I love my dog. He is very sweet, but he does like to chase the chickens. For this reason, when they are free ranging, he is locked in the dog yard rather than having free-range, himself. I asked my son, husband standing right there, to let the birds out (24 of them) and lock up the dog about mid-morning.
    My daughter and I left for shopping at noon and there's one of my CA Whites dead on the side of the driveway. I send dh a text and he blames it solely on the dog, though he was the one who let the dog out of the yard. I get home from shopping and my favorite boy, who I raised from a hatchling, who'd still come when I called, who'd still get on my back or shoulder at over 12 lbs., lying on his side on top of the nest boxes. He was still breathing, though shallow, and raised his head when I spoke to him. I wrapped him in a towel and held him till he died a few minutes later.
    I'm heartbroken and the only one in our house of five who grieves over the loss of a chicken. I don't raise them and treat them the way I do to allow them to die slow and miserable deaths! I'm ready to give it up for good. Rest in peace, Red, momma loves you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds as though your remaining chickens need to be confined to a large covered run permanently or until the dog gets trained. I lost 1 bird and 2 others were hurt when they jumped the fence into my yard with my golden retriever. He stopped chasing loose birds after I used a shock collar on him when he came close to the carcass of the dead chicken. Since then he has never harmed another bird, and now we have 3 yard chickens who are never harmed, as well as our regular flock. We packed away the shock collar after that, but it might not work on every dog. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences,it is always heartbreaking when a beloved pet dies. As for your family,they need to understand that these are your birds and that you expect all of them to understand this and take great care in ensuring they come to no harm. Your husband should know better,he is to blame not the dog. I would sit all of them down and read the riot act,tell them that b/c of their negligence/stupidity,pets that you loved were attacked and died a horrible death. See if it sinks into them just how much this has hurt you.

Not everyone in my home likes my birds,but each of them know that if anything were to happen to them,i will personally hold each and everyone of them accountable and that they will definitely not like the consequences. My birds are my pets,and i love each and everyone of them. My dogs are not allowed anywhere near my birds,labrador retriever and birds are not a great mix.

Do not give up something you love,think of all the joy you would miss if you did.

4. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    His thing is that it's going to happen. Cut, dried and simple, and that nothing I do is really going to make a difference. It's his bs cop-out, especially when he is the one at fault..again. The birds didn't fly in to an area where they shouldn't be and the dog didn't GET out, he was LET out. Big difference. It doesn't bother me so much that he doesn't necessarily care about the chickens, but it bothers me greatly that he doesn't care that I care about them very much.

5. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    They have a large, very secure and covered run, but I give them total freedom a few times a week when I've made sure all the dogs are secured. The other three dogs really don't bother the birds at all, but Trooper is a lab/pit, very sweet and docile, but he doesn't know his own size and strength. For this reason, it is ALL of OUR responsibility to ensure their safety. This was human error, nothing else.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since he has shown that he will not respect your wishes about letting the dog out, you really don't have any choice but to keep them in their run--I would ask him to build it larger for me. Everyone needs to compromise, and try to get along. When people don't respect your wishes in one area, they are not going to in other areas.

7. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Still ****** and grieving over Red this morning and dh acts like everything is just fine, as usual. We're heading out of town for two days and I've been so looking forward to the trip. Now I wish he'd just take the kids and go. I don't even want to be in the car with him and his callous attitude for three hours!

8. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    He's already made it larger once, and it's more room than they need, but, again, I treat my birds very well and they are happy and healthy for it. It's not that he flat-out doesn't respect my wishes, he just doesn't pay attention, "forgets", etc., and it's supposed to be ok. Ironically, HE is the one who grew up with fresh eggs and hinted about raising them for years, so I made it happen and have taken on all the responsibility for their care for almost 4 years now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by