Two different colored eggs from one chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elieugene6, Aug 10, 2010.

1. elieugene6

elieugene6 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Ok, I know this is strange and someone is going to tell me that I am wrong but I am 100% certain that these two eggs came from the same girl. She just started laying about 4 days ago. The first egg was off white. I know it was her because I have been waiting and heard an egg song and ran outside. Egg song was for nothing as she wasn't in the nest and all 5 nests were empty. She was however getting ready to go in so I stayed outside until I got my egg. The 2 eggs I cannot say for sure are hers they were brown w/white speckles and slightly larger. Today I went out to let everyone outside and checked the nests and there were no eggs but before I left she hopped into the nest so I waited so I could grab the egg. For a first timer shes got it down and lays quickly. I busied myself out in the henhouse and within 20 minutes I had another egg. This one was brown with speckles but smaller than the other two with speckles. I brought it in and compared it is the same size as the white egg and smaller than the other two brown ones. So I think I have 2 or more laying but can't figure out how I would have gotten a white egg. They are all supposed to be brown layers. Well we have 3 that we aren't sure of breed but pretty sure they are amberlink.

So I guess my question is, has anyone ever heard of this happening before and will it continue?

Off topic a little I cracked one of the larger ones to eat and the shell was incredibly hard compared to store bought and it was a double yolker!!! Yeah so happy to have my own fresh eggs. Hubby wont eat yet hes afraid of eggs directly out of barn, lol.

Her in nest
    [​IMG]

Her a week ago, comb has since gotten redder
    [​IMG]

First egg compared to large store bought
    [​IMG]

Color of other egg but not the same one that I got today, the one I got today if size of first.
    [​IMG]

2. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Brown egg layers deposit a pigment on the egg just before it is laid. Sometimes for whatever reason, the bird "skips" this step and you will get an occasional white egg. It is possible and does occasionally happen.

3. elieugene6

elieugene6 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Ok thank you for the clarification. That is the first I heard of it and explains the speckled look as well.

4. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    I had an EE that layed it's first two eggs that were brown and then started on green eggs. I posted it and got a bunch of "doesn't happen" reply's. It happened and looks like you see it too

5. NNANAPAM

NNANAPAM In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    I am glad to hear these things, because I have been wondering myself about my new layers and eggs colors. I get dark brown eggs, white eggs and green eggs from the same 2 hens. Then I have a crippled hen that is by herself and her eggs are almost always varied in color. I got a huge green egg the day after getting a small one......I have been too busy to rush out there lately. So I cannot be sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by