Two drakes per duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Is this doable or too risky?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    should be 2 ducks per drake, ideal would be 3 ducks per drake but 2 would be better than 1 per drake or what you said and 2 drakes to 1 duck that's not good at all.

3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Alright. I have had my eye on female welsh harlequins forever they are just so pretty but i already have four drakes and my parents are only letting me get two more ducks. :(

4. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Whooooaaaaa.....I do not think that is a good idea. It really depends on the drake too, but like ML said-3 ducks to one drake is a good ratio. Maybe you could sell a few drakes? I LOVE WH's, getting a shipment from Holderreads this Spring and I am SOOO Excited. :)v

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd sit my parents down and explain to them that having 2 drakes per duck is asking this poor duck to endure endless mating and possibly drowning when 2 drakes are trying to mate with her at once, plus they will wear her out. Drakes are very hormonal and can injure and even kill a duck especially if she is the only one getting all the attention,. I'd try and place 2 of your drakes actually 3 would be better, but having 2 drake and 2 ducks is still pushing it and then your going to have the drakes going at each other because one is going to be dominant over the other one and want both ducks for himself. Cayugas are beautiful ducks and you could probably find a good home for the drakes if you posted here on BYC we have a Buy sell trade section and also a rehoming section at least ask ing here would be better than craigslist. Listen it's very hard for me to give up any of my drakes thats why I have 4 drakes but I make sure to have the ducks to go with the drakes. Have you thought about just having an all drake flock? that way you wouldn't have to worry about mating and trying to find home for ducklings[which isn't always that easy]

6. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

^x2!

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Yes i have thought about an all drake flock. I think i will leave my flock as all drake as i understand having less females than males can be dangerous. And my ducks are my pets so it would break my heart to give them away

8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    BAD IDEA

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] I think that shows alot of responsibility and caring. I love my drakes. Now being all drakes doesn't mean there won't be problems but hopefully they will work them out among themselves. There will be a leader and the rest will have to follow.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Given the current flock and the restrictions on adding, yes that would be best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by