Two drakes... will they be okay as bachelors?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LemonDoodles, Jul 19, 2011.

1. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Surprise surprise! Been seeing my girl mounting my boy the last few days. We've been joking that maybe Muddy is a boy. Lo and behold... the start of the drake feather appeared in both of them last night, Muddy's is really pronounced. We were almost positive that he was a girl due to lots of quaking. In the last few weeks Olive caught up and now have the same quack. Turns out it was a boy quack and we just didn't have anything to compare it to. We rechecked with the Majestic Waterfowl site: http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm and that pretty much confirmed that they are both boys.

I kind of feel bad as they will never know the touch of a woman. These two are pets and I do not have the room or the time to get three or four girls. Will they be okay without females?

Another question, they are both Pekins, 14 weeks old. Muddy is 5lbs and Olive is 7lbs. That is another reason we thought Muddy to be a girl. Is this size variation normal?

Quack Quack.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm not familiar with the Pekins much, so I can't answer your weight question.
    As far as them both being drakes, they'll be fine together. As long as they have someone to buddy up with, ducks are pretty happy creatures.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They should be fine as long as there are no female. Just watch them around other birds because they may try to start mating them and that can cause serious injuries. The size difference is normal to me.

4. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    That's good to know. I wonder how long Muddy is going to keep mounting Olive. What goofs. I still feel bad but they are very very loved.

I was looking forward to some eggs though.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    You can get some little female for them eventually. They'll be fine-they are always just happy to have company.

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
  7. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    That makes sense. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by